Get Health and Dental Insurance Rates in Minutes
Honest Rates. Dependable Coverage.
Provincial healthcare plans do not cover a variety of frequently requested medical services. It’s up to you to safeguard yourself with prescription drugs and dental coverage!
As a Canadian, why do I need Health Insurance?
While provincial health plans cover most of the healthcare costs in Canada, there are gaps for which the private sector is responsible for. Over the last decade, the government paid for about 70% of the total healthcare expenditure, while the other 30% was covered by private insurers or by citizens paying out-of-pocket.
The gaps include prescription drugs, dental care, vision care, chiropractors, hospital rooms and ambulance services. Depending on the province, gaps may differ, but a significant healthcare cost is still passed on to Canadians.
Private Health Insurance can help you alleviate that burden if you require healthcare services not covered by your public health plan. If you have a health condition or your employer does not offer health benefits, getting a private Health Insurance could be a greatly beneficial financial decision.
In most cases, you will need to already have a provincial health plan and be no older than 74. Some insurers also require a medical exam depending on your medical history.
If you have a pre-existing condition, you may apply for No Medical Health Insurance policy that does not require a medical exam. Such policies have guaranteed acceptance, but your premiums will be higher.
Whatever service your provincial health care plan does not cover, is likely to be covered by your private Health Insurance. Covered services include:
- Prescription medication
- Emergency medical service during international travel
- Physiotherapy/massage therapy
- Dental care
- Vision care
- Hearing aids
- Hospital stays and ambulance services
- Medical equipment (mobility devices, CPAP machines, and others)
Health Insurance premiums vary depending on a person’s age, medical history, chosen level of coverage, and location. The reason costs differ between provinces is because their public health plans have different levels of coverage, therefore different gaps must be filled by private Health Insurance. Being a smoker will raise your premiums as well.
Of course, prices will also vary depending on the provider. This is why it is important to compare all options available to you. We can help you get the best rate and coverage for your situation.
Public health plans do not cover dental care. You might think it’s no biggie until you’re faced with a bill in the thousands from your dentist. Even if you are unlikely to need root canals or dental surgeries, Dental Insurance will help you save on your regular visits to the dentist.
Most commonly, Dental Insurance policies cover preventative oral care. Your coverage is likely to include:
- Dental check-ups & exams
- Wisdom teeth extractions
If you require coverage for more advanced procedures, such as surgery or implants, we can help you select the right plan for you. Most Dental Insurance policies will pay for up to 80% of your dental care costs, while your co-pay will be 20%.
Similarly to Health Insurance, your premium will mostly depend on your age, dental and medical history, and smoking and drinking habits. Your location will also be a factor as each province has a separate dental fee guide which insurers take into account.
Types of Health Insurance in Canada
Health & Dental Insurance offers quite a bit of flexibility to make sure you are only filling the gaps in your provincial plan and employer coverage. You may purchase health or dental insurance separately or look for a plan that combines both. Depending on your plan, you will have a different level of coverage for specific services. Our agents can help you select the right plan with the right amount of coverage for your needs.
How to Save Money on Health Insurance?
The best way to save money on insurance is to shop around and compare rates from different providers. This can be an exhaustive and time-consuming process. Thankfully, Policy Rates takes care of it for you! When you request a quote through our website, we check what rates you can get from every major Canadian insurer.
Policy Rates provides you with the lowest rates for the level of coverage that you desire from top insurance companies.